Member of the NEW TRAJECTORIES WEBRING

Thursday, November 23, 2023

Lion of Light: Hazardous to Your Dogma

Forgot to mention Seabrook below, he's another of Crowley's mostly-unreliable mid-century biographers.

Lion of Light: Foreword to Scott Michaelsen's Portable Darkness (pg. 187-193) 

 Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. 


I’m really happy that the order of Oz’s and my  responses to Wilson’s pieces on Crowley landed me with the forward to Portable Darkness. Not because I have anything particularly profound to share, but simply because this piece is important to me; it was one of the first pieces I read on The Great Beast that seemed promising and inspired me to continue deciphering the shadow-language of occultism. In many ways, the Lion of Light has been a walk down memory lane, a collection of works I had sought out or found in my hands but that had never before been concentrated in the same place. I cannot properly express how impressed I am with this collection: as I have said before, and will most likely say again, I wish I had had this collection when I was a novitiate. 


That said, even as someone who has spent years immersed in this milieu, there are still some mysteries in Wilson’s forward. I have never been able to identify the Wheatley story that chronicles the death of MacAleister and the elder Crowley’s institutionalization. I will admit I still haven’t read most of Wheatley’s fiction aside from The Devil Rides Out. He was prolific and much of his work is out of print; Wheatley helped shape that peculiar British tradition of being a man who was fascinated by the occult but drew a hard moral line between study and practice. His heroes are usually those who have only righteously dabbled instead of committing themselves towards black magic and are only interested in countering the diabolic machinations of actual practitioners. Wheatley also shamelessly capitalized on the occult revival of the 60s by releasing the curated collection of occult fiction “The Dennis Wheatley Library of the Occult.” I have a copy of Crowley’s Moonchild released under that imprint, so that shows how truly dangerous and evil Wheatley thought Crowley’s writing was. That, or he wasn’t afraid to unleash the dark energies of the Great Beast upon an unsuspecting public. Robert Irwin’s exceptional Satan Wants Me, set during the aforementioned revival, contains a humorous portrait of Wheatley, something that one suspects is inspired by Irwin’s own life experience. The hapless protagonist has found out that his involvement with a magical lodge has resulted in all-too-real consequences and writes to Wheatley for advice; the old author replies with a stodgy missive that scolds him for drug use, provides a facile and overblown warning about dabbling with magic and then encourages the protagonist to buy his latest book. Irwin’s autobiographical Memoirs of a Dervish has a few real life instances of the “luminaries” of mid-Century occult scholarship acting rather unimpressively. 


Wheatley’s novel was adapted into a fantastically lurid Hammer Studios film, released as The Devil’s Bride in America, that stars Christopher Lee as the virtuous Duc de Richlieu and Charles Grey as the Crowley-inspired Mocata. I highly recommend it. 



What was more troubling to me for years is that I never ran across the story of MacAleister’s unfortunate fate anywhere else, and I would relish reading the repetition of such a stone-faced canard. I love Crowley’s various fictionalized versions, deeply. That isn’t to say that I disbelieve Wilson- there was a mild boom of paperback and zines during the 60s that specialized in crude, inaccurate accounts of magical practice and demoniacal cults. Bereft of much literary merit, few of these publications were preserved. Once, a bookseller who knew my tastes well invited me into his backroom where he revealed a box of such titles, gathered from an estate sale. Although very broadminded, I think the salacious titles and cover art made him wary of putting the books on his shelves. I flipped through the lot, but could find very little of any use. Perhaps I should have purchased the collection for further perusal, but I only selected a couple of the titles with the most risque covers which I promptly lost between loaning them out and various moves. I think Uncle Al appreciated most of his caricatures, or at the very least took them in his stride. It is through these fictionalizations that we can best appreciate the dark dynamic of Crowley that Wilson writes about before trying to disabuse the reader of it in his foreword. 


I have never, to my satisfaction, identified the six biographies that Wilson was writing about in particular. There were more than six biographical accounts of Crowley published by the time of this foreword, and with the widened lens provided by the Internet, I cannot confidently guess at which ones would have flown across Wilson’s radar during this time period. One can assume that at least some of the hostile biographies would have been The Great Beast by John Symonds and Francis X. King’s The Magical World of Aleister Crowley; perhaps a third would have been Daniel P. Mannix’s The Beast: The Scandalous Life of Aleister Crowley. I would imagine at least one of the “sympathetic” biographies would have been Regardie’s The Eye in the Triangle with the other perhaps being Gerald Suster’s biography or Charles Cammell’s (father of Performance co-director Donald Cammell) Aleister Crowley: The Man, The Mage, the Poet. These are some of the inconsequential questions that have bothered me throughout the years. Lord knows we have more than enough Crowley biographies today, but I would like to reconstruct where Wilson’s knowledge was partially derived from. 


On a related note, I have never ran across the utterly charming bit of verse that Wilson profers as “the quickest introduction to the real Aleister Crowley”:


By all sorts of monkey tricks
They make my name mean 666; 

Well, I will deserve it if I can:
It is the number of a Man. 


I’ve had this down by heart--it isn’t hard--since first reading this piece so many years ago; I love it, but haven’t found it in Crowley’s writings. Perhaps it is derived from his diaries, which I haven’t read all of and will admit that I didn’t read particularly carefully when I did dip into them. I’m hoping one of our astute readers might be able to point me in the right direction. I’ve raised a lot of questions here, and would appreciate anybody’s ideas or attempts at answers. I do think that some valuable insight is gained herein as towards Wilson's attitude towards Crowley and all his foibles later in his writing career.


Finally, a word on “Portable” anthologies. The Viking Library was famous for its “Portable” titles and I typically disdained them. Perhaps I had prematurely, through some temporal fluke, taken Crowley’s own words to heart that I wouldn’t read until years later; in his autohagiography, Crowley writes that his understanding of literature was so expansive because he read all of the works of an author, not just a few titles, while discussing Coleridge. I disdained the Portable Library as something beneath me and fell into the trap of believing that it is better to read nothing rather than excerpts. This arrogance cost me a few years of understanding. It was Portable Darkness that introduced me to a lot of the more lucid parts of Crowley’s corpus; I first read excerpts from Magick Without Tears and Eight Lectures on Yoga in that compendium. It would also be in The Portable Joyce that I would first read any part of Finnegans Wake. So, I recommend reading something over reading nothing. Portable Darkness was not part of the Viking line of books, but it did capitalize upon the trends. Aside from the fact that Scott Michaelson didn’t seem to believe in any of the practical bits in Crowley’s writing, it is a very good anthology and our editor does display his good taste by including most of the poems, sans commentaries, of Wilson’s beloved The Book of Lies. This was also the book wherein I first read Liber AL and a few of the very best of the Holy Books of Thelema. If the collection had included Liber E and Liber O, I would say it is a near-perfect introduction. Even without those foundational texts, it is still a great introduction, replete with further reading recommendations, "marvellous commentaries" and compiled by someone who recognized Crowley’s philosophical and literary merit. 


Love is the law, love under will.


A.C.





28 comments:

  1. Terrific post. The action of "The Devil Rides Out" (aka "The Devil's Bride") climaxes on April 30, Walpurgisnacht. In the 80's one of the Turner cable channels would play it every year on Walpurgisnacht. I watched it the last week of April this year, and I plan to do that annually.

    I didn't find Francis King's book on Crowley hostile. It seemed pretty even handed to me.

    I loved the Viking Portable series. Many of them included multiple complete works. "The Portable Joyce" has become the standard edition in the Joyce world for "Portrait of the Artist", "Dubliners", "Exiles" and Joyce's poetry. I also loved "The Portable Dante' (both versions) and "The Portable Nietzsche". Faulkner helped with the selection and added material for "The Portable Faulkner".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to join you in that annual tradition! I always feel like I don't do enough for Walpurgisnacht.

      I'll admit that I've never read King's biography. I probably picked up the idea that it was hostile from a review. I've always loved everything else I've read of his and how Wilson would refer to him as "the best non-insane occult historian." A noble title!

      "The Portable Joyce" was where I first read Dubliners and Joyce's poetry. And I really love "The Portable Nietzche." I'm glad I got over my arrogance. (In that way.)

      Delete
  2. Thank-you for the post. I have no idea where that MacAleister story comes from, I've never come across it. Wilson says he has seen the story dozens of times in magazines and books and schlock papers. You've actually looked for it and not found it, Apuleius. One wonders if he may be embellishing a little?
    I also don't recall seeing the verse about monkey tricks and 666, but that does seem like something Crowley would write. At the end, Wilson has Crowley commenting on "the giant Death Machine;" I've never seen A.C. use that terminology. The rest of the comment paraphrases Chapter 10 from The Book of Lies. The "Hallucinations" from that chapter could also refer to the Plato's Ideal Forms way of seeing the world where ideas and representation hold a transcendent value beyond physical reality.

    Wilson frames Crowley's goals not as good/bad or truth/falsehood but as "waking up." Writing: "he was awake – to a terrifying extent."

    I agree with RAW on the efficacy of the Lesser Hexagram: "one of the most powerful consciousness-altering techniques I know." The number 6 comes up quite a few times in this short piece; Buddha and Mystical Christianity also get mentioned; 36 (6 squared) is given as the number of Crowley's personalities. A qabalist might get suspicious.

    Seeing continuity in Lion of Light where I hadn't before: Wilson began the last essay by introducing the bullshit detector. He begins this one by endeavoring to activate that detector then letting the reader know it is indeed nonsense . . . nonsense he may or may not have made up or greatly embellished.

    This piece has a Rabelaisian feel to it with the catalog of 666's personalities and the mention of Monty Python. Nice to see Finnegans Wake brought into the conversation.

    I hadn't made the connection between Portable Darkness and the Portable series of books. A long time ago I had a Portable Edgar Allan Poe that I greatly enjoyed and scared me sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Embellishment is part of the game. At least as far as I understand the rules.

      I like the Lesser Ritual, but I really love Crowley's Thelemic version "The Star Sapphire." I would probably point to that as the most beautiful of all the rituals.

      I haven't congratulated you on finishing the "Wake!" I certainly need to revisit it more often. I do like breaking down the prayer to Anna for my classes as an example of Joyce's high-information density. I think the mention of Monty Python was a very formative part of my understanding of Crowley. I should have brought that up, as well.

      Delete
  3. The bit of verse is from the poem Ascension Day in The Sword of Song, published by Society for the Propagation of Religious Truth (1904).

    Relevant excerpt from a long, long poem:

    Yet by-and-by I hope to weave
    A song of Anti-Christmas Eve
    And First- and Second- Beast-er Day.
    There’s one* who loves me dearly (vrai!)
    Who yet believes me sprung from Tophet,
    Either the Beast or the False Prophet;
    And by all sorts of monkey tricks
    Adds up my name to Six Six Six.
    Retire, good Gallup! In such strife her
    Superior skill makes you a cipher!
    Ho! I adopt the number. Look
    At the quaint wrapper of this book!**
    I will deserve it if I can:
    It is the number of a Man.

    *Crowley's mother.
    ** The cover of the book The Sword of Song

    There is, later in that same book, an essay called Science and Buddhism, fun stuff.

    https://bibliotecapleyades.net/crowley/liber/libers/liber067.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! While I have The Collected Works, I think I only only read "Tannhauser." Seems like a sign to read them.

      Delete
    2. As these things always go - unrelated to anything around this poem or the discussion here, I was opening Tobias Churton's Aleister Crowley in India for the first time today and found there is a fantastic chapter in the book largely dedicated to this particular poem. Gives a fabulous amount of very helpful context for some of the references whose meaning may be otherwise lost on us. It's been said in these discussions before, but for anyone who really wants to dig into AC's life - check out Churton!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apuleius, you talk of "that peculiar British tradition of being a man who was fascinated by the occult but drew a hard moral line between study and practice", and then mention Christopher Lee in The Devil Rides Out. Lee was interested in the occult, and allegedly owned thousands of books on the subject. But I am unclear as to his involvement with it in practice, or if he instead would fit your definition of a purely academic student.

    This week saw us going through November 23, Harpo Marx' birthday and as such a Discordian holyday. I celebrated by watching the 1930 film Animal Crackers.
    Now, seemingly a modern incarnation of Harpocrates, Harpo is the silent one. However, in this film he does utter one word: "out". I suspect that he was following Crowley's instruction to get OUT, from chapter 23 of The Book of Lies, Skidoo. I assume Harpo had T already, since the film sees him repeatedly attemting to molest various women. T = Strength, the Lion, which the Thoth tarot renamed Lust.
    While Groucho appears Zen-like with his deluge of surrealistic and absurd comments on a verbal level, Harpo seems like quite the Great Beast, following unhinged any random impulse that suddenly pops up in him, in an animal (crackers) way.
    Perhaps the Marx Brothers were in fact on a mission to illuminate the world, by systematically blowing up conventions on each of the first four Circuits of the 8C model. Perhaps the different brothers are just split aspects of one Secret Chief. Regardless, and as Wilson points out, one question remains: "which is it - lunacy or the highest sanity possible to a human being?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an odd tradition that I'd like to write more about one day. It shows up frequently in 19th-20th century British tropes. From what I've read about Christopher Lee, he would have been too busy to put too much time towards practicing occultism. So, I'd probably go with academic in that case. I did always want to grow up to be Lord Summerisle, though.

      Have you seen the early draft of "The Fool" that Lady Harris modelled on Harpo? It's one of my favorites. I think this is an excellent analysis of Animal Crackers/the Marx Brothers in general.

      Delete
    2. And I did not even mention Groucho being into polyamory!
      "Why, that's bigamy.
      Yes, and it's big of me too."

      Oz, I take it that Captain Spaulding connects to the letters CS?
      Maybe the Marx Brothers' filmography is ripe for a thorough hermetic/discordian critical reading.

      I remember you using this version of the Fool card as illustration for a post during the Prometheus Rising reading group, and the depiction synchronistically recalling the real-life event of Tom Jackson finding a quarter thanks to his cat spilling liquid.

      Delete
    3. Of course, Animal Crackers has the same initials than Aleister Crowley. Seeing that he was also called the Beast, it might be significant that the synonymous 'animal' is here being used.

      Delete
    4. Spookah, thanks for noticing the CS connection. There's tons of hermetic info and qabalah in many of the older Marx Bros. films - A Day at the Races, Horse Feathers, A Night at the Opera, Duck Soup off the top of my head. A rumor circulated that they were secretly Sufis.

      Captain Spaulding doesn't just want to sleep with Mrs. Rittenhouse (Rittenhouse = Thoth = Magus) and Mrs. Whitehead (Whitehead = Kether + Sun), he wants to marry them.

      Animal Crackers shows how the "animal" nature in humans can crack or shutdown the invocation. We see this with The Professor (Harpo) at his introduction whose only wearing an overcoat and his underwear. When he opens his overcoat revealing his near nakedness, the party (invocation) stops and he begins shooting everyone, further cracking up the invocation in an unbalanced, yang-like way.

      Harpo and Groucho's sexual energy gets contrasted, they go in opposite directions. As soon as Harpo sees a woman, any woman, he begins frantically chasing her. He disrupts things, like the card game, and he's a thief. With help from Chico, he steals the famous painting. Near the end, there's the scene of everything he's stolen falling out of his overcoat. This can look like a metaphor for stealing higher energies - he's stealing from the house (magick). At the very end, he puts everyone to sleep, ending any chance of invocation and the film.

      Groucho, on the other hand, is very sweet in his courtship, except when he's insulting, of course. He wants to marry the two women not just sleep with them which suggests sublimation. And the joke: "I once shot an elephant in my pajamas, how he got into my pajamas, I have no idea;" also suggests sublimation - killing the large animal in his pants. Sublimation does not mean repression or celibacy, rather a more refined approach to sexuality directed away from the animal.

      I'm barely scratching the surface. Notice Hives, the butler, at the very beginning summoning his magical forces. Listen to the words in the opening song - he says Spaulding craves attention - a pun - to receive attention and to be someone who has a lot of attention - a key to successful magick, which is why Crowley worked so hard on his concentration exercises when Eckenstein pointed out to him that his attention was weak.

      Delete
    5. Thank you for this fantastic review of the film, Oz!

      You talk of Groucho wanting to marry these two women, but there is another scene where he's going with FOUR of them. Perhaps he was indeed being Spirit topping off the four elements, or the secret Powers of the Sphinx, as Lvx15 points out.

      That was my first Marx Bro film in decades, I used to love those back in my early teens. Now I want to go through their filmography again.

      Delete
    6. Some esoteric schools consider those films essential viewing.

      Delete
    7. I forgot the qabalah on "The Professor" (Harpo) in Animal Crackers. T + P = 89. 89 = Shut up, Body, Silence, 9 of Swords (Cruelty). Chapter 89 in The Book of Lies is titled "Unprofessional Conduct." It seems brilliant to me that Harpo can present this destructive kind of energy in such a light-hearted playful manner. As The Fool, he plays the aspect of the dog that you see jumping on/biting the leg of The Fool in traditional decks. In the Thoth Tarot, this looks more like a tiger than a dog. I'm not sure what kind of wild animal is depicted there.

      Coincidentally, or not, the biggest dick in American politics (he has competition, but he's way ahead) has a name that starts with a T and ends with a P.

      Delete
    8. The Nine of Swords (Cruelty) appears one of the most disgusting-looking card of the Thoth deck, perhaps together with the Seven of Cups (Debauch). Most unfortunately, following the zodiacal attribution, it so happens that it also is the card under which falls my birthday.

      From the Book of Thoth: "Consciousness has fallen into a realm unenlightened by reason. There is, however, a way to deal with this card: the way of passive resistance, resignation, the acceptance of martyrdom."

      Go fnord yourself, Uncle Al.

      Delete
  6. Animal Crackers has a great deal of Qabalah in it. My teacher suggested I watch it once a week until I thought I had it all. After a couple of months, I stopped. Then he said something which made me realize I hadn't got it all. Groucho's character = Captain Spaulding. I mention this as it connects with something in my next post. I love that film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Capt. Spaulding: I must be going!
      The real origin of the fifth power of the sphinx?

      Delete
    2. The secret has been revealed.
      Hello! I came to say, I must be going!

      Delete
  7. In solidarity with the post, I tried to search for the bit of verse, too, using Google Books and came up with nothing, so good for Lvx15 is solving the problem.

    I have been listening to the second season of "The Lovecraft Investigations," i.e. the adaptation of "The Whisperer in Darkness," and I have been surprised by the Crowley references in it. There's a scene where the listener is instructed to stop and Google Crowley's Lam image and look at it, so I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom.

      Did they have you look at the version of Lam with the crown of hearts?

      AC: "Lam is the Tibetan word for Way or Path, and Lama is He who Goeth"... Capt. Spaulding is a Lama!

      Delete
    2. @Lvx15 The image in question was not specified. The one I looked at is the one at the Wikipedia article about Crowley.

      Delete
  8. the process of tracking down the publishing rights for the Portable Darkness intro was wild and wacky. I touched on it briefly in my Editors Note, and I've forgotten a lot of the details without digging through my emails. I found the author, a professor at Michigan State (https://people.cal.msu.edu/smichael/), and he pointed out some links to the publisher's colorful past and indicated that he had never been paid, but that was ok, he was just happy to get his book in print. The publisher seemed to excel at not paying his authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the email from the author:
      Hi Hilaritas Press,

      That's a fascinating question. The editor is the interesting character James Williamson, and the editor of Creation Books. I've also been told that he is the Japanese cyberpunk author Kenji Siratori, and he is also known as James Havoc. I was once in close contact with him by email, but I doubt very much that the old address at Creation works anymore.
      Here's a few other tidbits: http://www.creationbooksfraud.com/aliases.html
      Good luck in tracking him down...you'll find a lot of interesting things about him on the web, and most of them bad. I suspect he "disappeared." I have nothing against him. I was under no illusions regarding his payment of royalties etc. I was happy simply to have my book back in print. And James was good at what he did.
      ---
      As I mentioned in the Editors Note, the response we eventually got was from "Sun God X".

      Delete
    2. I only vaguely remember reading Michaelson's essays in the collection many years ago, but I do remember thinking some were very good and others perhaps too bogged down with academic jargon (at least for me).

      I see it was republished with added material... I wonder what was added.

      Delete
    3. Very neat. Thank you for the context, Mike!

      Delete

Lion of Light: It is All About the Child

"Kung walked              by the dynastic temple        and into the cedar grove,              and then out by the lower river, And wit...